Hello everybody, my name is Noah and I'm going to be putting together a server in the near(ish) future that is going to be running HL2RP in a more traditional way, while also using newer techniques to try and minimize a lot of the drama that can come from smaller communities, and it is my hope to find people who share my vision to help me with achieving it.
For starters, let me explain what HL2RP is meant to be, in my eyes. HL2RP is a gamemode where a player can explore what it's like to live in a dystopian universe. While there is a set lore, that of the HL2 universe, I feel like this is best used as a backdrop or "grounding" to allow for the players to create and explore characters with a shared vision of what the dystopia is, exactly. In that sense, my focus is less on what the lore is and what will eventually happen with Gordon Freeman, and more on what people will do in such a society to survive and, if ambitious enough, rise to the higher levels of power in the society. So, if you share my vision of what HL2RP is meant to be, read on, dear reader.
My goal is to produce a small to medium HL2RP community (think 30-ish slots, about half full on normal peak days) where people can explore these characters together. Of course, I imagine this is the goal of many developers, but in this case, my goal is to create such a server that has a functional economy and a focus on highly detailed roleplay, without the bullsh*t that often comes with the more roleplay-heavy communities and the drama that can entail from staff favoritism and other such problems.
To do so, I have a few main features planned out:
- Stat-based rolling system, for combat and some out-of-combat things, in order to make it so disputes rarely ever arise.
- Flag-based character item spawning. Players apply for flags on the forums, discord, or whatever else, and can then spawn in items from the business menu with tokens, avoiding cluttering the map with potentially exploitable NPCs.
- Simple Civil Protection structure that avoids the problems that can occur with "High Command" systems without necessarily removing human commanders within the ranks and on missions.
- Minor expansion on base HL2 weapons to provide more immersion without adding an entirely new arsenal of firearms.
- Functional item trees. Go from buying a bottle of beer to drinking it to smashing it to make a glass shiv with ease.
- Stat-based motivators for buying consumables as an inflation control as well as to encourage players to actually spend their tokens on things other than weaponry or gear.
- All this, with a lightweight version of HL2RP that doesn't have exorbitant amounts of bells and whistles.
I also have a few other ideas that I'm still working out the details on, such as a truly locked-down Civil Protection radio and other such minor features, without the heavy details of massive plugins.
At this point, I'm looking for people who might be interested to help in staffing such a server, and I'm posting this now in the hope of acquiring volunteers. If interested, please let me know with a reply below, forum PM, or on discord: @Noah the Goblin#1576
Thanks for reading, and I hope you're interested in supporting me in this endeavor!